Issue 112 - March 2011 - Page 17
Plea to Help Find Homes for 52 Thoroughbred Horses
Circulating message asks recipients to help find new homes for 52 thoroughbred horses that must be rehoused urgently due to the death of their owner.
The claims in the message were true but all of the horses have now found new homes. The continued circulation of the message is therefore no longer necessary.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 3rd February 2011
First published: 3rd February 2011
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter. Gentleman died and his son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke and some are in foal weanling, yearlings, 2 yrs and 3 yrs old most are gelded. FREE and papered. Friend of the deceased is trying to find homes [Numbers Removed] Barnesville, OH. Please copy and paste this on your status
According to a message that is rapidly circulating via Facebook, other social networks, horse and pet forums and email, 52 thoroughbred horses urgently need new homes due to the death of their owner. The message notes that the horses, which are located at Barnesville, Ohio, will be sent to slaughter if new homes are not found for them. The message asks recipients to call one of the listed phone numbers if they can help.
The claims in the message were true, but the horses have now found new homes. According to credible reports on several horse related forums
, all 52 of the horses have been rehomed
, with most going to family friends of the deceased owner.
Therefore, the continued circulation of the message is no longer required. Even though all the horses now have new homes, those making the arrangements are still reportedly receiving a great many phone calls from people wishing to help. Calls to the listed numbers confirm that new homes have been arranged for all horses.
According to information posted on several horse related forums, the owner of the horses
was Daniel Charles Stearns, D.V.M., who passed away Jan. 27, 2011 at the age of 89.
Such pleas can certainly be a useful tool in the hunt for new homes for animals whose owners can no longer house them. However, as in this case, such messages often continue to circulate long after all the animals have found new homes. In some instances, such messages have circulated for years
after the animals have been safely relocated. Thus, it is important to verify that such "urgent" requests for new homes for unwanted animals are still current and valid before passing them on to others.
TBs need homes in OH
52 thoroughbred horses need homes or will go to sugar creek this Saturday
Dr. Daniel Charles Stearns III (1921-2011)
Email Request to Adopt Free Black Lab Puppies
Pages in this month's issue:
- Money Laundering Scam - Christchurch Earthquake Charity Support Job
- False Claim - Viral Video Shows 92 Year Old Ginger Rogers Dancing With Her Great Grandson
- Flu Remedy Myth - Onions Absorb Viruses and Bacteria From a Room
- False Claim - Onions are Magnets for Bacteria
- The Fly in the Urinal - Schiphol Airport Toilet Aim Improvement Technique
- Blackberry Award Advance Fee Scam
- Overblown Warning - Phone Numbers Now On Facebook
- UK Post Office Online Reward Program Phishing Scam
- Amber Alert Hoax - Mitsubishi Eclipse With Plate Number 98B351
- Hitman Payoff Scam Email
- Facebook 'See Who Viewed Your Profile' Scams - Rogue 'Stalker' Apps
- Analysis of a Hijacked Account Overpayment Scam - Boat and Trailer For Sale
- Tick Removal Advice - Liquid Soap Technique
- Does Rubbing Vicks VapourRub on Your Feet Relieve Coughing?
- Mike The Hacker Scam Emails
- DVLA Update Driver's Licence Phishing Scam
- Plea to Help Find Homes for 52 Thoroughbred Horses
- Prime Minister Howard - Muslims Out Of Australia
- Unsubstantiated Rumours Claim Michelle Obama is Pregnant
- AOL 'Billing Update Must be Performed' Phishing Scam
- Health Canada Warning - Over The Counter Drug Recall
- Do Not Call - Mobile Phones Going Public Hoax
- Facebook Grant Award Advance Fee Scam
- Post Express 'Incorrect Delivery Address' Malware Emails
- Adobe Acrobat Upgrade Phishing Scam Emails
- Mobile Phone Tips - Things You Never Knew Your Mobile Phone Could Do
- Telstra Bill Account Update Phishing Scam