Issue 114 - May 2011 - Page 9
Prayer Request for Injured Soldier Tony Mullis
Message circulating via social media asks recipients to offer prayers for 20 year old soldier Tony Mullis, who was severely injured by an IED while serving in Afghanistan.
The information in the message is true. Marine Tony Mullis has indeed had both legs amputated after he was hit by an IED in Afghanistan on 6th April 2011.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 11th April 2011
First published: 8th April 2011
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
PRAYER CHAIN FOR THIS FAMILY - Tony Mullis is a 20 year old from Hawkinsville, Georgia serving in Afghanistan. He is married to Jeannie Bush Mullis also from Hawkinsville.Yesterday, Jeannie gave birth to their baby boy. Today, Tony was struck by an IED and has lost both legs. Prayers are very much needed.
This message, which is currently circulating via Facebook and other social networks and forums, asks readers to pray for 20 year old soldier Tony Mullis, who was injured by an IED while serving in Afghanistan. The message states that the soldier had both legs amputated after the blast.
Sadly, the information in the message is true. An April 9 report in The Sun News, notes
Mullis, 20, a Marine for two and a half years since he joined fresh out of Hawkinsville High School at age 17, was serving his second tour of duty in the Middle East. He’d arrived there late last month.
His mother, Cozetta Quigg of Warner Robins, said Friday that Mullis and members of the 2nd Combat Engineering Battalion, Alpha Company, from Camp Lejeune, N.C., came under attack sometime Wednesday. He was “hit with” an improvised explosive device, or homemade bomb, she said, but details were still sketchy.
Quigg said her son’s injuries resulted in amputations on both of his legs -- a few inches below his right knee and a little above his left knee.
Mullis is expected to be flown to a hospital in Portsmouth, Va., in the coming days for further treatment.
The Marine's wife, Jeanie, gave birth to a son just the day before he was injured in the blast.
Hawkinsville Marine loses both legs day after wife gives birth
ShadowSpear - Need some prayers
Pages in this month's issue:
- False Warning - Do Not Add 'Jason Lee' Because Its a Virus
- Amber Alert Hoax - Fake '72B 381' Abduction Alert Continues To Circulate
- Fake Order Notification Emails Carry PDF Exploit
- Padlock on Facebook Home Page Hacker Warning Hoax
- Tsunami Deep Sea Creatures Email
- Hoax News Report - Japan to End Whaling
- Visa Card Violated Phishing Scam
- Facebook 'Virus' Alert - Twilight the Movie Link 'Worst Virus Ever' According to Facebook and CNN
- Prayer Request for Injured Soldier Tony Mullis
- Inaccurate Warnings Claim ALL 'bit.ly' Links Are Suspect and Should not be Clicked
- Facebook Non Secure Browsing Warning
- Facebook 'Trojan' Warning - Girl Who Killed Herself In Front Of Web Cam Video
- Do Circulating Photographs Show a Mass Fish Death In California Caused by the Japanese Tsunami?
- Facebook Rogue App Survey Scam - BBC News Check What She Did on Cam
- Google Promotion Award Advance Fee Scam
- Facebook "Your Password is Not Safe" Malware Email