Issue 115 - June 2011 - Page 7
Dislike Button Virotrex Virus Warning
Message circulating on Facebook warns users not to click on links about a Dislike Button, because doing so will install a virus called Virotrex that will steal private information from the infected computer.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 18th May 2011
First published: 18th May 2011
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
ATTENTION FACEBOOK USERS: If anyone posts a status to your wall saying anything about a dislike button, DO NOT CLICK IT ! It installs a virus called Virotrex which is used to redeem passwords and other sorts of information. RE-POST THIS TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE !
This message, which is circulating rapidly around Facebook, warns users not to click on links in posts about a dislike button. According to the message, clicking these links will launch the Virotrex virus, which once installed, can steal passwords and other information from the infected computer. The message exhorts users to repost the information to help keep other users safe.
have been targeting Facebook users for a year or more.
Thus, it is certainly true that Facebook users should be very cautious of any messages about supposed Dislike Buttons, even if they come from friends.
Because this warning contains information about a non-existent virus, and does not specify how such scams actually work, its value as a warning is questionable. To be of much use, security warnings need to be accurate, up-to-date and contain enough information to enable recipients to know how to effectively deal with the threat described if it should come their way.
Dislike Button' Scam Targets Facebook Users
Pages in this month's issue:
- Inaccurate Message Claims That Missing Joplin Tornado Kids at Children's Mercy, KC
- Hotmail Account Deactivation Phishing Scam
- Fake Virus Warning - Do Not Add 'Howard Hertzberg' Because Its a Virus
- Exer-Hide Dog Chew Warning Message
- Video Showing Man Taken by Killer Whale
- Picture of Huge King Brown Snake in Branxton NSW
- Dislike Button Virotrex Virus Warning
- Facebook Page Hacker Warning Message - "Visit The New Facebook" Links
- Dueling Banjos Hoax
- Advance Fee Scam - Prince William and Princess Catherine Worldwide Galore Promotion
- UPS Uniforms Hoax
- Trees Cocooned in Spider Webs After Pakistan Floods
- ABSA Phishing Scam Emails
- Osama Bin Laden Virus Emails
- FBI 'You Visit Illegal Websites' Malware Email
- HM Revenue & Customs Income Tax Repayment Phishing Scam
- Facebook Virus Warning - BBC Video Of Bin Laden Killing
- Pointless Warning Message - Facebook About to Become Owner of Your Private Photos
- Unfounded Facebook Rumour- Bob Howard Pedophile Warning