Issue 116 - July 2011 - Page 10
Lightning Storm Meets Volcanic Eruption Photos
Email forward claims that attached photographs show a lightning storm meeting a large volcanic eruption in Chile.
The photographs are genuine. They depict lightning in a plume of ash from an eruption of Chile's Chaiten Volcano in May 2008.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 15th June 2011
First published: 4th July 2008
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
(Submitted, June 2008)
Subject: Fw: Volcanic Eruption Meets Lightning Storm
Two of nature's most spectacular forces produced an incredible brew in the skies of Chile as a volcanic eruption met a lightning storm.
These spectacular photographs depicting lightning intermingled with the towering plume from an erupting volcano circulate via email, blogs and social media. The almost otherworldly sight of these two powerful forces of nature clashing with each other has caused some commentators to suggest that the images have been manipulated. However, the photographs are in fact genuine
The photographs depict an eruption of the Chaiten volcano
in Chile in May 2008. The volcano, which was previously dormant for thousands of years, is located around 1300km south of Santiago. An article about the eruption published on the Mail Online website on May 7th 2008 describes the event
As clouds of toxic ash and dust tower into the sky, they ionise the air, generating an explosive electrical storm. Colossal forks of lightning spark around the noxious plume as it spews from the volcano's crater, creating an image of raw, terrifying energy - as if the air itself were ablaze.
Several thousand residents were evacuated from the area and the plume from the eruption left large areas of land covered in a layer of ash.
These images have continued to circulate since they first appeared online in 2008. In June 2011, similar and equally spectacular photographs
of lightning in another Chilean volcano ash cloud also began making their way around via websites, social media and news outlets. Chile's Puyehue volcano began erupting
on Saturday, June 4 2011.
Chaiten Volcano Erupts
Amazing pictures: The lightning storm that engulfed an erupting volcano
Chile's staggering volcanic spectacle
Pages in this month's issue:
- Amazing Hand Paintings – The Work of Artist Guido Daniele
- F-Secure 'Security Maintenance' Password Phishing Scam
- No Ordinary Bus - Robert Mugabe's Luxury Bus Protest Message
- Rugby World Cup Advance Fee Lottery Scam
- South African Giant Rats Risk Alert
- McDonald's 'Free Dinner Day' Malware Email
- Overblown Facebook Warning: Remove All Profile Pics With Kids
- Exhibit B-5 Viral Video - Girl Gets Hit By Car After Prank Goes Wrong
- Sheikh Zayed House Hoax
- Lightning Storm Meets Volcanic Eruption Photos
- Facebook Warning - Applications Sending Porno Messages in Your Name
- Paypal 'Strange IP from a Different Location' Phishing Scam
- Black Van Child Abduction Alert - Number Plate Ending With 03A
- 'New Way to Hack Your Face Book' Warning Message
- Western Union 'Too Many Login Attempts' Phishing Scam
- Domain Name Application Scam
- Direct TV Treatment of Joplin Tornado Victims Protest Message
- Diversity Visa Lottery Green Card Scam
- Becoming a Father or Mother Facebook Group Pedophile Warning Hoax
- Elephant 'Road Rage' in South Africa