Issue 117 - August 2011 - Page 6
Fake News Report Falsely Claims Mark Zuckerberg Arrested for Child Molestation
Circulating message couched as a news report claims that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been arrested on child molestation charges.
The claims in the message are totally untrue. The story originated from an entirely bogus "news report" that was posted on a user-submitted news website. The story was simply made up by its submitter and has since been removed.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 12th July 2011
First published: 12th July 2011
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
BREAKING: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg arrested for Child Molestation
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been arrested in Palo Alto and charged with 2 felony counts of child molestation, news sites are reporting. The Palo Alto Police Department took Zuckerberg into custody at 11 pm PT Sunday evening. According to the criminal complaint, the alleged incidents began occurring in November last year and involve one victim, an under-aged girl.
The complaint accuses the 27-year-old Zuckerberg of engaging in acts "with the intent of arousing, appealing to, and gratifying the lust, passions, and sexual desires of the defendant, who was at least 15 years older than [the victim]."
This supposed news report began making its way around online forums and social networks in early July, 2011. The "report" claims that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been arrested in Palo Alto and charged with two counts of child molestation.
However, the claims in the story have no basis in fact whatsoever. The story is in fact not news at all, but an entirely made up report posted on CNN's iReport website. iReport is a service that allows people to submit information in the form of user news reports. These user-submitted reports are not vetted by CNN before they are published on the site. Information about the service posted on the iReport website
Welcome to iReport, where people take part in the news with CNN. Your voice, together with other iReporters, helps shape how and what CNN covers every day.
So you know: iReport is the way people like you report the news. The stories in this section are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post. Only ones marked 'CNN iReport' have been vetted by CNN.
If used properly and ethically, such a service has merit in that it allows ordinary people to play a role as citizen journalists. However, like Wikipedia and other user submitted systems, iReport is open to abuse by unscrupulous users. In this case, the "iReporter" has simply made up the fake report about Zuckerberg and posted it on the site. Because stories submitted on iReport look at first glance like mainstream CNN news reports, many people were apparently fooled into believing that the Zuckerberg child molestation rumour was true. The fake story was quickly removed from the site, but not before it "escaped" into cyberspace and began circulating in the guise of a genuine news report.
And for the record, there are no credible news reports that claim Zuckerberg has been arrested. Of course, if such a high profile arrest had taken place, it would be prominently featured on news outlets around the world.
Predictably, some of the more wide-eyed conspiracy theorists out there are already suggesting that the media silence is because Mark Zuckerberg has somehow used his wealth and influence to "hush-up" the case. Such claims are, of course, absurd. No amount of money or influence could stop a world media - always ravenous for the next "juicy" story that they can sensationalize - from reporting on such a high profile case.
Pages in this month's issue:
- FB Security "Hacker" and "Virus" Warning
- Hoax: HIV Infected Blood In Pepsi
- Advance Fee Scam - Facebook 2011 Sweepstakes Online Lottery
- Hugh Hefner is NOT Dead - R.I.P. Hugh Hefner Facebook Virus Warning Hoax
- Wrench 3D Printing Viral Video
- Fake News Report Falsely Claims Mark Zuckerberg Arrested for Child Molestation
- Shutdown Cell Phone Virtual Kidnapping Scam Warning
- Facebook 'Virus' Warning - Girl in a Plaid Skirt
- Credit Card Overdue Malware Email
- Mobile Phone Misinformation - XALAN and #90 Hoax
- Hoax Warning: Lost Child Lure - 'New Way for Gang Members to Rape Women
- Hoax: Nadia Comaneci's Gymnast Granddaughter Viral Video
- 'Facebook Has Sent You a Message' Pharmacy Spam
- ''Uniform Traffic Ticket' Malware Email
- IRS 'Unable To Process Your Tax Return' Malware Email
- Nestle Banana Baby Food Recall Warning
- Hoax: Facebook to Start Charging This Summer - Facebook Icon Will Turn Blue
- Hoax - Nagasaki Arch Survives Both Atomic Bomb and Tsunami
- Alert From Facebook Security Team Phishing Scam
- Dollar Bills Stamped With 'NO GOD BUT ALLAH'