Issue 121 - December 2011 - Page 3
Summer Chain Email - Blond Hair And Blood Shot Eyes
Threatening chain letter claims that a dead teenager will kill the recipient if he or she does not forward or repost the message.
A note for younger readers:
This message is just a silly story that people have sent around for a long time. Everything it says in the message is a lie designed to scare you for no reason. Don't worry, absolutely nothing whatsoever will happen to you if you don't repost or share this message. I know because, doing this work, I have received hundreds of these emails and, even though I have never sent even one of them on, nothing has ever happened to me.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Scroll down to submit comments
Last updated: 23rd November 2011
First published: 4th January 2006
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
My name is Summer, I am 15 years old. I have blonde hair and blue eyes. I have no nose or ears, my body is covered with scars. Didn't I tell you I'm dead. My dad..killed me with a kitchen knife in the year 2001. It's
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... up to you if you re-post this or not, but this is no lie. This is FOR REAL! Now, copy this and pasteit onto the walls of 10 other pages or groups Your time is runninSee more This isn't fake. if you copy and paste this to ten pages in the next ten minutes u will have the best day of ur life tomorrow . U will either get kissed or asked out, if you break this chain u will see a little dead girl in your room tonight. In 53 mins someone will say i love you or im sorry or i wanna go out with you
MY NAME IS SUMMER...I AM 15 YEARS OLD WITH BLONDE HAIR AND BLOOD SHOT EYES. I HAVE NO NOSE OR EARS. I AM DEAD. IF U DO NOT SEND THIS TO 15 PPL IN THE NEXT 5 MIN., I WILL APPEAR TONIGHT UNDER YOUR BED, YOU WILL HEAR ME.... AND SEE ME FOR ONLY A SECOND....... BUT WITH MY KNIFE..... I WILL KILL YOU.
THIS IS NO JOKE.......... SOMETHING GOOD WILL HAPPEN TO U TONIGHT AT
10:22 IF YOU SEND THIS TO 15 PPL. SOMEONE WILL CALL U OR TALK TO U
ONLINE AND SAY I LOVE U. DON'T FORWARD... COPY AND PASTE.........
THIS IS NOT A JOKE
This very nasty chain letter is targeted squarely at children and adolescents. Versions of the message have circulated for years, mainly via email. However, a new social media variant of the message is currently causing fear and alarm among younger Facebook users.
Of course, there is no truth in the ridiculous notion that a dead person will appear in the recipient's bedroom if he or she does not forward or repost the message.
Please do not send this nonsense onward if you receive it. Even if you think sending it on is harmless or funny, remember that it may find its way to the inbox or News Feed of an impressionable child. The themes of horror and violence that characterize this message could be quite distressing for children and even some adults.
In fact, similar scare chains
have circulated in various forms for decades. Such scary stories
have long been at the core of many folk tales and urban legends. More "adult" versions of the tales tend to warn breathlessly of disguised killers
or narrow escapes
from a terrible fate.
Bloody Mary Curse Chain Email
Sundarbans Ghost Chain Letter
Old Woman and The Smashed Car Window Abduction Warning Hoax
Gang Member Hidden in Back Seat Myth
Pages in this month's issue:
- Bogus Warning - Scammers Asking for Baby Details to Claim Benefits in Your Children's Names
- False Claim - Cardiff City Football Club Refused to Donate Club Shirt for Fallen Soldier's Coffin
- Summer Chain Email - Blond Hair And Blood Shot Eyes
- Facebook Account Reported Phishing Scam
- Christmas Tree App Virus Hoax
- Sears Supports Reservist Employees Email Forward
- False Claim - Colour Photographs of Hitler Taken by American Life Photographer
- Budweiser Frogs Virus Hoax
- Phone Text Message Lottery Scams
- Skype TopUp Payment PayPal Phishing Scam
- Hoax - Mark Zuckerberg Blames Facebook Porn Attack on the Philippines
- 'DGTFX Virus' Email Account Phishing Scam
- Recent Facebook Porn Attack Highlights Dangers of Misleading 'Security' Warnings
- False - Send Christmas Cards for Recovering Soldiers to Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Christmas Cards for Recovering American Soldiers
- Starbucks Coffee Free Gift Card Survey Scam
- Facebook 'Virus' Warning - 'Nobody can watch this for more than 15 seconds' Video
- Advance Fee Scam - British National Lottery Promo Programme
- Live Ants In The Brain Hoax
- Hoax - Albany Bread Poisoned by Staff
- PayPal 'Verify to Resolve Account Limitations' Phishing Scam
- Red Bull Car Adverts Money Laundering Scam
- Hoax - Facebook Shutting Down on March 15
- False Warning - Red Dot Inside a Red Square On Chocolate Bars Indicates That Product Contains A Pork Derivative
- IT Service Desk 'Scheduled Maintenance & Upgrade' Phishing Scam
- Abandoned Two Week Old Sydney Baby Prayer Request
- Protest Message - Prison Sentence for Spray Painting Poppy on Mosque
- Protest Message - Dog Named 'Parrot' Shot by Police
- Inaccurate Protest Message - Poundland and Bodyshop Banning Staff From Wearing Poppies
- Apple Store Account Phishing Scam