Issue 125 - February 2012 (2nd Edition) - Page 14
Baby With Skin Rash Facebook Share Hoax
Facebook message that includes a series of photographs of a baby with a severe skin rash claims that Facebook will pay three cents to help the child every time that the message is shared or liked.
The message is a disgusting hoax. The claim that Facebook will donate money every time the message is shared or liked is an outright lie. Sadly, Nizza Manuela Duarte, the baby depicted in the images died back in 2009 due to a severe skin disease. The images were stolen and reused in this hoax without the permission of the child's parents. The images were most likely stolen from a 2009 Portuguese language blog post that discusses Nizza Manuela Duarte's case
In fact, this hoax is just one more in a spate of Facebook hoax messages
that feature a child's image without his or her parent's permission. These types of messages are NOT harmless. Often, the unauthorized circulation of such photographs causes great distress to the child's family
. Sharing such hoax messages is immoral and irresponsible. And since they do absolutely zero to help the pictured children, sharing these messages is utterly pointless as well.
If you encounter one of these hoax messages, PLEASE do not share it with others. Instead, report the image to Facebook. Please do NOT comment on the photo or the wall where the photo has been posted, as this gives the hoax more unwarranted exposure because it puts the offending photo on to the news feeds/tickers of your Facebook friends.
A number of us in the hoax and scam busting community are joining forces in an attempt to curtail these nasty and damaging hoaxes. You can help by reporting these images and letting your friends know that they are hoaxes. Remember that any message that claims that money will be donated in exchange for forwarding, sharing or liking a picture is certain to be a hoax.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Last updated: 31st January 2012
First published: 31st January 2012
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
Research by Steve Williamson, Brett Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
Manuela Duarte Nizza
Hoax - Facebook Will Pay Three Cents Per Share to Help Baby With Facial Cancer
A Special Appeal to Facebook Users - Unauthorised Use of Baby Zoe Chambers Photograph
Like+share. This child has cancer and for every like and share Facebook pays 3 cent to this child.
Pages in this month's issue:
- Protest Message - Live 'Tortoise' Souvenirs Sold in China
- Absurd Warning Claims That Monster Energy Drink Logo Hails Satan
- Facebook Photograph of Man Riding Motorbike Over Children's Hands
- IRS Penalty Phishing Scam
- Hoax - Share Photo to Raise Money to Help Abused Puppy
- Urban Legend - Rapist Hides in Back Seat at Garage
- Hoax - Indian Woman Gives Birth to Eleven Babies at Once
- Praying Mother and Son Rock Formation
- Pharmacy Spam Emails Purport to be From YouTube
- Caged Pigs Protest Message
- Protest Message Rails Against New Facebook Timeline
- Bogus Warning - Adobe Flash Player Update Messages in Zynga Games are Trojans
- Refugee Monthly Allowance From Australian Government Hoax
- Baby With Skin Rash Facebook Share Hoax
- Derbyshire Fairy Hoax