Issue 138 - September 2012 (1st Edition) - Page 9
Does a Circulating Photograph Show the Approach of Tropical Storm Isaac?
Widely circulated photograph that shows a large storm front rolling across the ocean claims that the pictures depicts 2012's tropical storm Isaac.
The photograph does not show tropical storm Isaac. In fact, the same picture has been circulated in a number of other contexts since at least 2008.
Detailed analysis and references below example.
Scroll down to submit comments
Last updated: August 27, 2012
First published: August 27, 2012
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
Research by Steve Williamson, Brett Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
How crazy is this photo of Isaac?!?! Share and be safe...check back at  for your updates
This compelling picture of a large storm rolling rather menacingly just above the ocean
is currently circulating rapidly around Facebook and other social networks. The message with the picture claims that it depicts tropical storm Isaac, which caused deaths and destruction in Haiti and later threatened areas of the United States in August 2012. The message asks people to share the picture and check back to a specified website for updates about Isaac.
However, while it does show a wall or shelf cloud associated with a large storm, the picture does not depict tropical storm Isaac at all.
In fact, the very same picture has circulated the Internet via blogs, email and social networking websites since at least 2008. Previous descriptions have claimed that the picture shows various other well-known storms and hurricanes. Some references suggest that the picture shows a storm approaching oil rigs
Whatever its origin, the picture certainly has no connection whatsoever to Isaac. The message is apparently a rather lame attempt to amass "shares"
and to drive users to a specified website.
This is certainly not the first time that storm photographs have been falsely attributed to unrelated hurricanes
, cyclones or typhoons and is unlikely to be the last.
The Flying Kiwi - Highlights of Brunei
Pages in this issue:
- Free Flights on Southwest Spam Emails
- Robert Duvall is NOT Dead
- Woolworths 'Customer Satisfaction Survey' Phishing Scam
- Pharmacy Spam Emails Pretend to be From Vimeo
- 'Science Guy' Bill Nye is NOT Dead
- Baby With Bong Protest Message
- Very.co.uk Shopping Voucher Phishing Scam
- Royal Mail "Group Shipment Advisory" Malware Emails
- Does a Circulating Photograph Show the Approach of Tropical Storm Isaac?
- Hoax - Giant Killer Snake Found in the Red Sea
- Does a Photograph Show a Massive Spider found in a Manchester UK House?
- Hoax - 'Deadly Sanitary Pad' Responsible for 53 Deaths
- Boy Shot By Step Dad Charity Hoax
- Olympic Tower 2016 - Rio Solar City Tower Design