Issue 149 - March 2013 (1st Edition) - Page 12
Images Purporting to Show Jamie Bulger Killer Jon Venables Circulate Online
Images purportedly depicting Jon Venables, one of Jamie Bulger's killers, appeared via social media outlets in February 2013 despite a worldwide injunction which prevents the publication of such images. The Attorney General's Office (AGO) in the UK is investigating the posting of the images but has neither confirmed nor denied that they actually showed Venables.
In 1993, Venables and Robert Thompson, then still children themselves, were convicted of killing two year old Jamie Bulger in Merseyside, UK.
While the original images have now reportedly been removed, others have also began circulating. Some versions include what is claimed to be images of fellow killer Robert Thompson as well as Jon Venables, both as adults as well as children. Often, the pictures include descriptions exhorting recipients to repost so that the identity and whereabouts of the killers can be revealed.
But, there is absolutely no guarantee that the images being shared really do show Jon Venables and Robert Thompson as adults. They may well show other innocent individuals that have no connection whatsoever to the case. Therefore, the dissemination of these images could lead to mistaken identity and even vigilante attacks against innocent people.
Moreover, posting such images - even those that just claim
to show Jon Venables - could have serious legal repercussions for users. A BBC News report
on the issue quotes an AGO spokesperson as follows:
"The AGO has been alerted to a possible contempt of court. We are liaising with the Ministry of Justice and others to establish the facts.
"More than one police force is now involved in the investigation."
He added: "It should be noted, there is a worldwide injunction in place which prevents the publication of any images or information purporting to identify anyone as Jon Venables."
Thus, while fury against the pair from the community is to be expected, reposting alleged images of them online is not only irresponsible, it is also very unwise from a legal standpoint.
They want this pic off the internet because it reveals the identity of little jamie bulgers killers... The murdering bastards!!
So share share share!!!!!! — go back where u came from.
'Bulger killer Jon Venables images' appear online
Jon Venables Photos Leaked on Twitter
Last updated: February 16, 2013
First published: February 16, 2013
Article written by Brett M. Christensen
About Brett Christensen and Hoax-Slayer
Pages in this issue:
- Lakeside Attempted Abduction Warning
- The Tale of the Racist Airline Passenger
- Circulating Post Claims US Charity CEO's Overpaid
- Bogus Warning - 'Talking Angela' Threat to Children
- WhatsApp 'Servers Really Full' Hoax
- Contact Lens BBQ Warning Hoax
- Facebook Hoax - Pay to become Gold Member or All Your Documents will be Made Public
- Facebook Team Security 2013 Phishing Scam - 'Last Warning - Your Account Will Be Disabled'
- Friend Request Facebook Ban Warning - 'Facebook Jail'
- Will Responding to a Question about Facebook Group Usage Cause Future Posts To Be Censored?
- O2 Shop 'View Bill Online' Phishing Scam
- Images Purporting to Show Jamie Bulger Killer Jon Venables Circulate Online