Issue 152 - April, 2013 (2nd Edition) - Page 17
Robin Williams 'Perfect Plan' For Peace Speech
Long circulated message claims that US comedian Robin Williams came up with a "perfect plan" for achieving peace in the world, which he delivered during a speech in New York.
Except for the final two sentences in the message - which were tacked on later - Robin Williams did not pen the piece as claimed. Nor
did he say the words in a speech in New York or anywhere else. The original version of the message was first posted on various message boards around March 2003 and was not attributed to Robin Williams. Within weeks, a new variant appeared that included the false attribution to Robin Williams along with the addition of one genuine Robin Williams quote. The Williams version has circulated ever since. Who actually did write the piece remains unclear.
You gotta love Robin Williams
Maybe HE should run for the Big Office!!
YOU HAVE TO LOVE HIM... A MUST READ... HE MADE THIS SPEECH IN NEW YORK .
Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York ' in Arabic.
You gotta love Robin Williams........Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.
Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)
'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'
1) 'The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys', we will never 'interfere' again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting withGermany , South Korea , the Middle East, and the Philippines . They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are from. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.
5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't att end classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.
6) The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere..' They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army.. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.
9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE. Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?
The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' '
This rather strident - and bitingly sarcastic - commentary on the American political landscape has now been circulating continually via email, blogs and social media sites for more than a decade. The piece is attributed to popular US actor and comedian Robin Williams. According to the message Robin Williams delivered the words during a speech in New York.
However, with the exception of two sentences right at the end, the words were not written by Robin Williams at all. Nor did he say them in a speech in New York. Or anywhere else for that matter.
The earliest incarnation of the message
that I could find was posted to a motorcycle USENET news group back in March 2003. It rapidly spread to other groups and forums. These original versions were not attributed to Robin Williams and, in fact, did not specify any author at all. Soon after, however, a new variant emerged that named Robin Williams as the author of the piece. The new version also tacked on the following quip, which Robin Williams reportedly uttered
as part of his stand-up comedy act:
"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?'
The new variants also omits an eleventh item that concluded the original piece:
11) And lastly bring back the manufacturing from our country, curtail the
cheap imports from all over the world and put the middle class back to work
in our country.
Some early variants also included a call to action for US citizens to protest immigration policy by emailing their displeasure to President Bush, the Mexican consulate and media outlets.
Moreover, Robin Williams reportedly leans politically to the left, and has been repeatedly condemned for his views by more conservative commentators, so it is highly improbable that he would have written the right-wing rhetoric featured in the above message. Who actually did write the piece remains unclear. But, it was NOT Robin Williams as claimed.
Last updated: April 1, 2013
First published: April 1, 2013
Research: Shevaun Fitzpatrick, Brett Christensen
By Brett M. Christensen
Pages in this issue:
- Burundanga Business Card Drug Warning
- William's Story - Stranded Friend Begging Message Scam
- Misleading and Inaccurate Diatribe - 'Toning Down' Anzac Day 2015
- 'Rarest Meteor Shower' - April 22, 2013
- NatWest 'Inadequate Security Enrollment' Phishing Scam
- Hoax - Indian Woman Gives Birth to Eleven Babies at Once
- False Claim - Muslims can Avoid Paying Bedroom Tax by Designating One Bedroom as a Prayer Room
- Optional Facebook Trial Allows Users to Pay to Send Messages to Non-Friend Inboxes
- False Claim - Anzac Day Badges Banned at Mt. Warren Park Shopping Centre
- The Bogus Tale of The British Flag Lapel Pin and the Rude Muslim Woman in the Checkout Queue
- Satire - Message Claims Parents Put Daughter Up For Adoption Because She is Gay
- Vladimir Putin's Supposed Speech to the Duma on Minorities and Sharia Law
- 'Warning Code: 11XXTT8765' Email Phishing Scam
- 'Your PayPal Account Was Deleted' Phishing Scam
- Facebook 'Name and Shame Baby Beater' Message
- 'Like' and 'Share' Harvesting Hoax - Boy Beaten for Liking One Direction
- Robin Williams 'Perfect Plan' For Peace Speech
- Bogus Facebook Message Claims Fake RSPCA Workers Trying to Steal Dogs in Coxhoe