Issue 156 - June, 2013 (2nd Edition) - Page 9
UPS 'Parcel Has Been Found' Malware Email
Email purporting to be from UPS claims that a parcel lost in the Christmas rush has now been found and sent. The email contains a link that supposedly opens a shipment label for the parcel.
© Depositphotos.com/Maxim Bukovski
The email is not from UPS and the supposed parcel does not exist. Clicking the "shipment label" link opens a compromised website
that harbours malware.
Subject: Parcel Has Been Found
Due to the Christmas time postal service overloading some postal items were lost.
Your parcel has been found and sent.
This email, which claims to be from US based delivery company United Parcel Service (UPS), informs recipients that a parcel lost in the Christmas postal rush has now been found and sent on its way. The message includes a link that supposedly allows recipients to access a "Shipment Label" for the lost parcel.
However, the email is not from UPS and the promised parcel does not exist.
Those who fall for the trick and click the "Shipment Label" link will be taken to a compromised website that harbours malware
. Once downloaded and installed, the malware can download
further malware and allow Internet criminals to take control of the infected computer.
This message is a variant of a long line of
malware emails claiming to be from UPS
or other delivery companies
. Many versions claim that a parcel was unable to be delivered and ask recipients to click a link or open an attached file to print a postage invoice or shipping label. Some versions link to websites containing malware while others include the malware in an attached file.
If you receive one of these messages, do not click on any links or open any attachments that it contains.
Last updated: June 7, 2013
First published: June 7, 2013
By Brett M. Christensen
Pages in this issue:
- Garbled Facebook Message Warns of 'New FB Cloning Scam'
- No, Microwaving your Smart Phone Will NOT Charge Its Battery
- Bogus Warning - Don't Flash Headlights Gang Initiation
- Perfume Email Hoax
- Giant Snake on Digging Machine Image
- Ticketmaster 'Ticket Order Confirmation' Scam Emails
- Black Muslim in the White House Virus Hoax
- Super Moon June 23, 2013
- UPS 'Parcel Has Been Found' Malware Email
- System32 Virus Hoax
- NAB Survey Phishing Scam
- Dubai Sewage System - Poop Truck Video
- Vodafone Tax Refund Phishing Scam
- Vodafone System Update Phishing Scam
- Impaled Boy Facebook Like Farming Hoax
- SunTrust Bank Phishing Scam Email
- Westpac 'Quick Survey' Phishing Scam
- Cold Water Causes Cancer Warning Message - Warm Water and Heart Attacks
- Facebook Account Locked Due to Malware Warning
- Webmail Account Phishing Scam
- 'European Financial Surveillance Union' Advance Fee Scam
- Jane's Story - Dating Scam