Issue 170 - January, 2014 (2nd Edition) - Page 20
Hoax - 'Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado'
Circulating report claims that 37 people in Colorado died of marijuana overdoses on the first day that recreational marijuana use became legal in that state.
© Depositphotos.com/ labrador
The claims in the report are untrue. While the sale of marijuana was indeed made legal in Colorado on January 1, 2014, 37 people did not die from overdoses as claimed. The report comes from the satirical site the Daily Currant. All stories on the Daily Currant are fictional.
Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado On First Day of Legalization
Colorado is reconsidering its decision to legalize recreational pot following the deaths of dozens due to marijuana overdoses.
According to a report in the Rocky Mountain News, 37 people were killed across the state on January 1st, the first day the drug became legal for all adults to use. Several more are clinging onto life in local emergency rooms and are not expected to survive.
According to a report that is currently gaining momentum via social media, 37 people have died of marijuana overdoses in Colorado. The report, which is designed to look like a news article
, claims that the deaths occurred on the first day that recreational marijuana use became legal in Colorado. Supposedly, authorities are reconsidering the legalization in light of the deaths.
However, the claims in the message are untrue. No such deaths occurred. The report was first published on the satirical website, The Daily Currant. The Daily Currant is satirical in nature and none of the stories published on the site are true. The About page
on the website notes:
The Daily Currant is an English language online satirical newspaper that covers global politics, business, technology, entertainment, science, health and media
And an FAQ on the About page further explains:
Q. Are your news stories real?
Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world
For the record, recreational use of marijuana has actually been legal in Colorado for people over 21 years of age since December 2012, when Amendment 64 went into effect. However, January 1st 2014 was the first day that marijuana could be legally sold via specially licensed stores in Colorado. A January 2 BBC article noted:
Long queues have been seen as the world's first state-licensed marijuana industry opened for business in the US state of Colorado.
Hordes of customers braved bitter cold and snow at about two dozen outlets across the mountainous state.
Residents aged 21 and over can buy 1oz (28g), while those from out of the state can purchase up to 0.25oz.
Last updated: January 3, 2014
First published: January 3, 2014
By Brett M. Christensen
Pages in this issue:
- 'Paul Walker Still Alive After Accident' Phishing and Survey Scam
- 'Profile Visitors for Facebook' Rogue App and Survey Scam
- PG & E Energy Statement Malware Emails
- Fake Picture: 'Thailand Snake Girl' - Serpentosis Malianorcis
- Tom Crist Lottery Win Advance Fee Scam
- Legoland Child Abduction Attempt Hoax
- Fake Picasa 'New Photos' Emails Point to Dodgy Pharmacy Website
- 'Win a Disney Cruise' Survey Scam
- Bogus Advice - Block Hackers by Adding 'Security' to Facebook Blocking Function
- Fake - Giant Squid Image
- Commonwealth Bank 'eStatement Ready' Phishing Scam
- 'Singer Rihanna Found to be Dead' Facebook Survey Scam
- Satire - Pope Francis and the 'Third Vatican Council'
- Snow Canyon Roadway Image
- Albert (Tapper) Torney and the Can Car Sculptures That He Did NOT Make
- 'Your Atmos Energy Bill is Available' Malware Email
- 'Beware Hack Scam Rollercoaster Clip' Facebook Warning Message
- Sainsbury's 'Customer Satisfaction Survey' Phishing Scame
- Satire - '18 Million Birds Dead New Year's Eve'
- Hoax - 'Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado'
- Hoax Report Claims Paul Walker Faked His Own Death
- 'Shark Eats Swimming Man' Facebook Survey Scam
- 'Notice to Appear in Court' Malware Emails
- 'Most Fatal Car Accident' Survey Scam
- Hoax - Extraordinary Planetary Alignment To Decrease Gravity on January 4
- 'World's Largest Snake Video' Survey Scam
- Michael Jackson Died Years Ago Hoax
- 'My Home is Burning' Facebook Phishing and Malware Scam
- Facebook 'Closed for Maintenance' Prank