Click "Play" to watch a typical "Mentos and Diet Coke" street experiment
According to Hyneman (he's the mustachioed MythBuster), it's a process called "nucleation," in which the particular chemistry of the Mentos candy interacts with the chemistry of the carbonated Diet Coke, causing the carbon dioxide gas, or CO2, to suddenly come out of suspension in the liquid and make a break for freedom.Thus, there is certainly no dispute that the experiment shown in the above photographs is genuine. However, I have found no credible reports of deaths caused by consuming Mentos and Diet Coke, in Brazil or elsewhere. Given the unprecedented popularity of Mentos and Coke experiments, there would surely be news reports and consumer warnings if serious or fatal injuries had occurred.
So is it dangerous to drink soda and eat Mentos? Well, a lot of the fizz goes away as you drink. Then when bubbles are released in your stomach, your stomach can expand a bit, and it also has ways of releasing excess pressure. Do not, repeat, do not be stupid and test the limits of your stomach. Don't even think about it.At the very least, it could cause projectile vomiting to rival "The Exorcist's" Reagan and leave the person feeling quite ill. It would be wise to consume your coke and mentors separately to prevent unexpected and messy results. In the interests of safety, oral Mentos and Diet Coke experiments should be avoided. On the other hand, non-oral experiments can be fun, interesting and educational. Naturally, children conducting such experiments should be well supervised by responsible adults.
OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!!The slide show claims that the event had been reported in the media and provoked a public reaction. However, as with the earlier version, I have seen no news reports at all about a child dying as a result of consuming Coke and Mentos. If such a death had occurred, it is highly improbable that the incident would have gone unreported in the media, not only in Brazil, but also around the world.
In April last year a child, aged 10, a pupil of primary school Dante Alighieri from São Paulo, Brazil, died without any prior medical problems. He colapsed during a class.
He was offered first aid, but he died in a few minutes during the transport to hospital.
Bloated stomach, death due to suffocation.
The obduction established that his condition was caused by consumation of substances, that caused an explosion in his stomach. A bottle of Coca Cola Light and subsequently a well known Mentos menthol sweet. "The cause of the child's death was the mixture of the substances in the two foods."
Alexander B. Mergenthaler from the chemical institute l'Institut USP (France) verified and practically proved that the substance from Coca Cola Light, Acesulfame K INS930, mixed together with the Menthos sweets, releases a deadly chemical reaxtion known as Ta9V4. In a very short time this combination produces and releases huge quantities of gas under high pressure – an explosion!
Even after this event and reports in various means of media provoked apalled public reaction, Coca-Cola and Mentos have issued no public statements.
Forward this e-mail and you might save someones life.
Last updated: 28th June 2007
First published: 8th November 2006
Write-up by Brett M.Christensen