Debunking email hoaxes and exposing Internet scams since 2003!

Hoax-Slayer Logo Hoax-Slayer Logo

DividerDivider
Home    About    New Articles    RSS Feed    Subscriptions    Contact
DividerDivider


Site Navigation



CASE NOW SOLVED - Message Asks For Help to Identify Man Killed By Train in Melbourne

Outline
A circulating social media message asks for help identifying a young man killed by a train in Melbourne, Australia in September, 2012.



Brief Analysis
The case described is real. For several months, police were unable to identify the man. However, after a global appeal for help and an ongoing social media campaign, the man's identity was finally confirmed to the media in January 2013. The man's remains were taken back to his home in Sweden. The continued circulation of the message is no longer required.

Bookmark and Share
Example

This lad was killed in austraila in sept. Share so he can be taken home

Man Killed Melbourne

Transcript:
Somebody must know me
Killed by train Melbourne Australia

In September 2012
May be a backpacker from Europe.
Share and Like to help find my family


Detailed Analysis


This widely circulated social media message asks for help identifying a young man killed by a train in Melbourne, Australia in September, 2012. The message circulates as a graphic featuring an image of the man and the plea for help digitally added to a photograph of a gravestone. The message suggests that the man may have been a backpacker from Europe. It asks that users share and like to help spread the word.

The message was valid when it first began circulating. But, thankfully, the young man has since been identified as a 22-year-old Swedish national and his remains have been returned to his home country.

An October 8, 2012 article in The Age, outlined the case:
Backpackers and hostel owners could hold the key to identifying a young man, possibly an international traveller, who was hit by a train and killed in Melbourne's east last month.

More than three weeks after the man, believed to be in his early 20s, died near East Camberwell railway station, police are no closer to establishing his identity and no one has come forward to report him missing.

Senior Constable Leah Bound said the man was believed to have stepped out of an alcove near the railway station at 11am on September 14 into the path of an oncoming train and was killed. Police say his death is not suspicious.

Despite extensive searches, police have been unable to match his description with any missing persons cases in Victoria.

The man carried no identification in his wallet,…..

The man's identity remained unconfirmed for several months. An ongoing social media campaign to solve the case was launched, and police issued two public appeals for information.

Finally, after the case was reported in Sweden, the man's family contacted police. A January 23 2013 follow-up report in The Age noted:

Police confirmed the identity of the 22-year-old Swedish national through DNA technology and his remains were repatriated, a spokesman said.
The man's death is not being treated as suspicious.

The spokesman said investigators wanted to thank the public and the media for their help in solving the case.
Thus, it is no longer necessary to share the message.

Bookmark and Share

Last updated: September 12, 2013
First published: September 12, 2013
By Brett M. Christensen
About Hoax-Slayer

References
Killed by a train, and no one knows who he is
Global appeal solves months-old mystery train death