- ‘No Harm Done?’ Think Again! – 4 Reasons Why Participating In Bogus Facebook Giveaways Is NOT Harmless
Facebook is awash with bogus competition pages. You know, the ones that promise amazing prizes such as store vouchers, holidays, luxury vehicles, ocean cruises, free air travel, and even houses in exchange for liking, sharing, commenting, and filling in surveys. And, despite many warnings about such scams, very large numbers of Facebook users still fall for them every day.
- Wait, Do You REALLY Think people Deserve to be Scammed?
Some thoughts on the unfortunate 'deserve to be scammed' attitude that seems so prevalent on social media.
- The Ten Most Popular Hoax-Slayer Stories of 2015
Here we take a little trip down memory lane and revisit some of the most popular stories published on Hoax-Slayer during 2015.
- Dear Facebook, I Have a Question......
In what universe is it NOT a violation of any decent set of 'community standards' to steal a picture of a sick baby and use it just to gather social media likes?
- Six Genuine Images That Are Often Mistaken For Hoaxes
Here we list six circulating stories that feature real images that are often prematurely dismissed as fake.
- How to Respond to Hoax Messages
How do you respond if you see a social media post or email that you know is a hoax?
- Hot on Hoax-Slayer - The 15 Most Popular HS Stories This Week
What's hot on Hoax-Slayer this week.
- Six Old Internet Hoaxes That Are Once Again Circulating
Here we list six tired old hoaxes that are once again circulating the Internet at speed.
- Current Top Five Fake-News Stories
These days, fake-news 'satire' websites such as National Report, Huzlers and World News Daily Report are responsible for a hefty percentage of the nonsense that plagues our social media feeds and inboxes. Here we list five of the most commonly distributed fake-news stories of the moment.
- 5 Current Malware Emails To Watch Out For
These are five of the most common malware emails currently hitting inboxes.
- 5 Current Facebook Scams To Watch Out For
Facebook is a perfect venue for scammers to distribute their malicious messages and find new victims. Here are five current Facebook scams to watch out for.
- 8 Highly Misleading Viral Messages About Food and Health
Here we list eight health and food messages that circulate continually. All contain misleading and inaccurate information.
- In My Opinion, Most Scam Victims are Naive, Not Stupid
When I publish an article about a phishing, advance fee, or job scam, I often receive comments along the lines of 'If anyone is stupid enough to fall for that, they deserve to be ripped off!'
Personally, I think that attitude is too harsh and is certainly not an accurate reflection of the average victim's intellect.
- The Case Against 'Just in Case'
If you tend to be the hoax and scam debunker among your social media friends, chances are you've come across the rather lame 'just in case' justification more than once.
- Seven Classic Email Hoaxes Of Days Gone By
Here we revisit seven classic email hoaxes that got forwarded around the planet and back again multiple times.
- 8 Hoaxes Featuring Strange and Fabulous Creatures
Here we discuss 8 popular hoaxes that feature, fairies, mermaids, monsters, giants, and other strange creatures. What other hoaxes would you add to the list?
- Don't Assume All Your Friends Know About These Six Internet Scams
Perhaps you are already pretty Internet savvy and can easily recognize these six common Internet scams. But, don't assume that all of your friends and family know about them as well. You might be quite surprised!
- Three Facebook Related Hoaxes That Just will NOT Die
Here we discuss three Facebook hoaxes that keep resurfacing at regular intervals, year in year out.
- Six Phone Scams You Really Need to Know About
Phone based scamming is on the rise. Phone scammers use many cover stories to trick people into sending them money and personal information.
- Current Ebola Related Hoaxes
Here we list the current crop of Ebola related hoaxes.
- Hoax-Slayer's Current Top Five Dumbest Hoaxes
A Few of The Most Ridiculous Internet Hoaxes Currently Circulating.
- The Hoax-Slayer All Time Top Five Spider Hoaxes
Perhaps because they fill so many of us with fear and trepidation, spiders are a common and recurring theme in many Internet hoaxes. The five spider hoaxes listed here are among the most popular of all Hoax-Slayer articles.
- Watch Out For These 6 Christmas Internet Scams
Every year, as Christmas draws near, cybercriminals tend to ramp up their nefarious activities.