Submit Your Scam Story
Perhaps you've been a victim of a dating scam? Or a money-laundering job scam? Have you lost money via an advance-fee scam or a phishing scam? Been victimized by an over-payment scammer? Suffered losses via some other type of Internet based fraud?
If you or someone close to you has been a victim of an Internet scam, you can submit your story for possible publication on the Hoax-Slayer website. By telling your story
, you may be able to stop other people from becoming victims. Your story may provide
much needed support for others who recognize their own circumstances via the experiences you share.
Don't worry, your privacy is very important to us. All information that could identify victims - including surnames, locations, and employment details - will be altered prior to publication to protect your identity. Only the first names of both victims and scammers will be used to identify them in published stories.
We are interested in hearing YOUR experience. This is YOUR story, and how much detail you choose to include is entirely up to you. But, here are some questions you might consider answering within your story:
- What is your age group?
- What is your gender?
- How were you first contacted by the scammer?
- What first made you suspect that you might be dealing with a scammer?
- How did the scammer alleviate your suspicions? Did you confront him or her?
- How have you recovered from your experience?
- What helped or did not help in your recovery?
- What was the worst part of your experience?
- After you realized that you were being scammed, did you report the matter to authorities? If so, what was the outcome?
- Has anything positive come out of your experience?
Terms of submission
The following terms are fomulated to protect both your interests and ours. Please take the time to read them before submitting your story. By submitting your story for potential publication on the Hoax-Slayer website, you are agreeing to the following terms:
- All surnames and identifying features within the story will be removed. Only first names will be used. This measure is to protect the privacy of victims and their families. It is also to prevent people from being targeted by scammers for a second time and to prevent people being the target of malicious bullying.
- Scammers often use the names of real people, companies or entities without their permission or knowledge. Therefore, only the first names used by scammers will be used.
- Some stories may require editing prior to publication to make them suitable for an Internet audience. However, the essence and validity of the story will be honoured. Editing might include condensing some sections, fixing spelling and grammatical errors and restructuring portions of the story to improve readability and clarity.
- If you are submitting a story on behalf of another person such as a relative or friend, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have that person's permission to do so.
- All submissions are welcome and will be read. However, given that some stories may cover material that has already been published or may fall outside the scope of this project, not all submissions will be published.
- After you have submitted a story, you should receive an initial reply acknowledging your submission. In some cases, we may also contact you to clarify aspects of your story or request further information. You are under no obligation to respond to our queries, but not responding may mean that publication of your story will not proceed.
- We accept stories in good faith. We assume that submissions are your own work and have not been taken from previously published material without the express permission of the copyright holder. Submissions will be checked for possible plagerisation or copyright infringment issues before publication.
- While we have great empathy for scam victims, we are not law enforcement or legal entities and we cannot help you recover any money that you have already lost to scammers or help you persue any legal avenues pertaining to your experience.
- Stories will not be returned to the sender for review prior to publication but submitters will be informed if and when their stories have been published.
You can submit your story via the following email address. You can write your story in the body of the email, or include it as an attached Microsoft Word compatible file, PDF or text file.